Upcoming exhibitions

Patrons of the arts in Narva. Art collection of the Lavretsovs

From October 2017

The exhibition Patrons of Narva. The art collection of the Lavretsovs was displayed for the first time in the Mikkel Museum, Art Museum of Estonia, in 2016. The Lavretsovs' heritage forms an important part of the Narva Museum's foreign art collection and is also one of the largest collections of Russian art in Estonia. The Art Museum of Estonia introduces the exhibition as follows:

The Lavretsovs' collection is truly exceptional in Estonia. It was left by the art patron Sergey Lavretsov (1825–1906) to the city of Narva, together with his house at 104 Rüütli Street and funds for the upkeep of the Sergey Lavretsov Museum. The collection of Sergey and Glafira Lavretsov includes works of figurative art, as well as applied art, cultural-historical and ethnographic items, and mineralogical and zoological materials. The collection of paintings was, and still is, the central and most significant part of the inheritance. The Lavretsovs acquired art during their innumerable travels through Russia and Western Europe: they bought works at exhibitions in St. Petersburg, at the studios of artists (e.g. Ivan Aivazovsky) and from art dealers. Supporting Estonian artists through purchases or scholarships was also important to them. Lavretsovs supported both established artists, who had acquired an academic education in St. Petersburg (Peeter Heller, Nikolay Semyonov, Nikolay Lund and Eduard Verber), as well as young artists who were either beginning their studies or finding their paths in the world of art (Peet Aren, August Jansen, Ado Vabbe, et al.). (Source: Art Museum of Estonia)

Photograph: Carl Gottlieb Venig. Julius Caesar and Cleopatra. 19th century. Narva Museum